Saturday, November 24, 2012

Scam Email: Mark Peters

This is a pretty classic exchange of emails between a scammer and their potential victim, until the victim realized it was a scam in time to not lose any money. Notice how the email changed because one email was just hijacked but the actual "reply-to" went to a gmail account the scammer was using. That way, they can communicate with their potential victim but keep the sense of legitimacy and the victims often don't even notice this change. and see how the scammer waits a few steps to lure the victim deeper into the scam and then has a long email to begin to re-direct the victim towards the heart of the scam - overpaying with a counterfeit check or stolen credit card (and trying to have a whole fake story as to why the check will be so much more than the amount owed) and asking the victim to forward the difference to a shipper (who doesn't exist) via wire transfer (so that when the scammer picks up the money, it is gone and untraceable).
From: Mark Peters [mailto:mark@markpeters.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 20 November 2012 11:03 PM
Subject: Order Inquiry

My name is Mark Peters,I want to place an order in your store,I will like to know if you ship to Philippines. Do you have credit card facility?Get back to me with your website.I will await your prompt response.
Best Regards,
Mark

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Janice wrote:

It would depend what you were interested in ..........if a painting unframed this is easy if glass work would depend on the size of the piece

Janice

 From: Mark Peters [mailto:auszza@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 20 November 2012 11:03 PM
Subject: Re: Order Inquiry

Email me with the prices of the birds below
Nature, Panel 6mm glass 50 x 70 cm
Emu Panel - 84cm x 32cm
Robins on Red - 40cm x 40cm
Jabiru - 38cm x 38cm

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Janice wrote:

I do not ship framed, this is better done after you receive them

These are all original paintings and the sizes are as follows before framing

Emu panel - 106 x 37 cm            $350 AU + postage
Robins - 106 x 37cm                  $350 AU + postage
Jabiru - 77 x 28cm                   $300 AU + postage

And not sure which nature one you are referring to

Janice

From: Mark Peters [mailto:auszza@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 21 November 2012 6:41 AM
Subject: CONTACT SHIPPER

Dear Janice
Good to read back from you . below are the Items I want to order

Emu panel - 106 x 37 cm   
2 qty

Robins - 106 x 37cm
2 qty

Jabiru - 77 x 28cm
1 qty

SHIPPING ADDRESS
8221 Paseo de Roxas,
Makati City, Metro Manila.
Philippines  , 1226

Concerning the shipment,the likes of UPS,FEDEX and POST OFFICE always don't take care of the charges down here. Charges like handling,customs duties,tax etc. I have experienced such situation before and I don't want to be the victims of such a thing again. I will be glad if you contact this freight forwarder Lintel logistics for shipping quote.The shipping company will arrange the pick-up of my order from your store,so you don't have any stress to face in shipping processing at all.Here is their email address (lintellogistics@yahoo.com) ,Not that I can't deal with the shipper directly,but they always prefer to deal with the store where they will be doing the pick up in other to reduce the customs duties and other charges.They have a way of preparing their shipment documents whereby the custom duties payment on this goods will be reduced and if I wanted to pay for the custom duties and other charges, at times it is 40% of the whole package amount.I do trust Lintel logistics ,if not I wouldn't have recommend them for my shipment.They are very reliable and fast.They will take care of everything including Handling, Customs duties,Tax, Insurance etc.Contact them to obtain a quote and get back to me in the format bellow:

COST OF THE ORDER
COST OF THE SHIPPING FROM LINTEL LOGISTICS
TOTAL COST (ORDER + SHIPPING)
Once I have these details from you, I will get back to you with my
credit card information,so you can charge and make the necessary
shipping arrangements.
Regards,
Mark

NOTE:The freight company will need these 5 information to get you a quote,so provide them with the details bellow:

1)My Customer's ID # :BWA45479ZQ
2)Delivery Full Address:
8221 Paseo de Roxas,
Makati City, Metro Manila.
Philippines  , 1226
3)Pick Up Full Address : PROVIDE YOUR ADDRESS
4)Weight Of The Consignment : PROVIDE ORDER WEIGHT
5)Momentary Value Of The Consignment : PROVIDE ORDER TOTAL COST

2 comments:

  1. I have an auto repair business and just received the same thing. We have been conversing for a couple of days and here is what he wrote.

    " Oh great and I think I feel eased and please to find someone to
    fix this.I would have called but I am a deaf.My car is Honda Accord
    2008 accord ex,4 door, 4 cylinder,VIN is 1HGCP26828A140964.I bought it
    last year and it as been pretty cool.I am The busy type and now I am
    busier, I am preparing for my wedding and that takes my time.I think I
    know whats need to be done on the car but I want to confirm what this
    will cost me...



    Replacement of all Brake pads{regular} no need for roters ......
    A new windshield is needed .......
    I need the both heated side mirrors replaced completely(black in
    color) power mirrors .......



    I want to know what the above will cost me in total I meant parts and
    labor all together and Please reply asap so we proceed on deal.

    Page T. Newton
    Thanks

    Good,as a conclusion between I and my fiancee we have agreed to
    have you do these repairs because I have contacted some other people
    and you seem best.But here the issue is we are very busy at this point
    preparing for our wedding like I told you initially.With due respect
    my mode of payment is by Certified check,$50 extra will be included
    for your run around expenses while cashing the check.If we have a
    agreement,then the following details is needed for mailing payment to
    you .........



    Name to be on check:
    Physical address for mailing with apartment number(No POBox pls):
    City / state :
    Zip Code:
    phone # to keep you updated;


    Info is required so I mail you the payment asap via USPS(delivery
    in 4 days) and the car will be brought to you by a shipper at my cost
    after check is cashed.Hope you reply soon so we proceed on deal as
    that car will be needed at our wedding.My details is as
    follows...............

    Page T. Newton
    701 Torrence Ave
    Lansing, IL 60438
    (708) 232-0640---------# is For Text only (I'm a deaf & live alone)."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goes to show scammers could care less about what someone is selling. In this case, it is a little odd because it was car repair. Still, they'd send a fake check for more than the amount and have some story about some service coming by to pick up the car and asking the victim to forward money via wire transfer... but it just doesn't fit as well here as when the victim sells a product that needs shipping. But what does a scammer care? They are only after the money.

    ReplyDelete