Saturday, July 14, 2012

Book: Amazon Review

It is a special feeling when you finally get that book done, all edited and formatted, and uploaded to Amazon to be reviewed and have a proof copy printed. I procrastinated over that step, looking over and over again to make sure every last mistake had been found and corrected, knowing ultimately it is likely some mistake will slip through no matter what.

Although I published a book back in 1995, this current project is my first experience with all the new things available to authors in order to self-publish. It is still a bit of the wild west and it reminds me of the old days when personal computers first came out and there were a half dozen different operating systems all competing and so software had to be written to work on at least the ones that had the most market share. With ebooks, there is still a need to provide pretty distinct formatting for PDF, EPUB, MOBI, and then your printed version (which gets uploaded as a PDF or DOC file). And then I have EPUB for Smashwords, which has its own requirements of referencing them in the disclaimers/copyright section and a different EPUB for my website, etc. I suspect eventually everyone is going to standardize on one format, which is looking like it is going to be EPUB, but until then, the process is a bit more complex than it needs to be.

Still, I woke up this morning, knowing that file for the printed book is done and uploaded and it feels great. I feel lighter. I have a lot of work still to do (go back and make sure all my ebook files are all clean for when i upload them), press releases, etc but now my attention can begin to turn more fully towards letting people know the book exists.

Oh, I should say what the book is again. It is called Top 10 Email Scams and I wrote it as part of my continuing campaign to spread the word online about Internet Scams so that we can all reduce the number of people actually losing money and their identity and credit card numbers to these scammers. This is Volume 1 of a multi-part series. Volume 2 will take a look at more email scams (because there are certainly more than the top ten), and Volume 3 will go more into depth on the scams found on social media sites like Craigslist, Facebook, eBay, Pinterest, etc.

Top 10 Email Scams is available now as an ebook (your choice of .pdf, .epub, or .mobi file format) from ktmobooks.com/store. It will retail for $9.99 but I am offering an automatic 15% off during my "pre-launch" time before it appears on Amazon, which the target date is August 1, 2012. The printed version of the book will be sold through Amazon and I also expected that to be ready to go by August 1st.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences with online scams and all of us posting and helping to alert others before they become victims.

No comments:

Post a Comment