Thursday, July 5, 2012

Internet Scam: Fake Craigslist Buyers

Here is an email I just received:

Kathleen,

I just received this email a few days ago... Its normal for me to receive emails about booking tattoos so I went on to start emailing back and fourth. When thing didn't add up and they got irate about me using PayPal for credit card transactions... I started researching online and sure enough there is a scam alert for tattoo artist with the same email going around. It used to be that people would just try and get you to send money to receive a prize...these people just wont give up :(

Hello This is Ben Bruce and i will like to ask if you do dragon tattoo and am hearing impaired...and i want you to draw an Dragon tattoo 4 inch with color on their Back and a maximum of 2 hours on each person and i want you to get back to me with the total estimate for 10 people because i have a party coming up on the 13th of July and i also want you to know that the people who will come to have the tattoo will come with a private transportation driver... and i also want you to know that i will be making full payment with my credit card information to charge for all expenses i want you to get back to me with the type of credit card accepted and i also want you to know that i have attach you the picture of the tattoo... and i would like everyone that is coming to have the same tattoo for all. and i also want you to get back to me with your cell phone number and shop address so that i can have your shop information complete with me so that i can forward to the driver who will drop the people to your shop to have the tattoo.

Thank Ben

Yes, this is a scam. The scammer got upset about the paypal angle, because then the scammer can't work the scam. They need a way to get their money from you and be able to disappear. It's likely this one would have worked in that the scammer would have overpaid for the work, saying a wife or assistant made a mistake, and ask for the overage to be sent back to them, via Western Union. They'll pay with fake money but you will send the overage with your good money, and then they disappear. That's how it all works.

Glad to hear you didn't fall for it.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Tryed to get scammed the scam is still active. his name.
    Cody Wilson.
    Email. wlsncody01@gmail.com

    I was selling my bike. He want to buy it but because he was a pilot he could collect it. Instead he was going to get a Courier out to collect it. And wanted help to pay it. So he add the money for the courier to the bike money and wanted me to pay it. After this I got 3 fake emails from PayPal telling me the money was in my account and they had a hold on it until I pay the courier. The emails were I my junk mailbox. Stop this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    I just got the scammed from this guy Cody Wilson.
    He want to buy my phone and send me fake paypal email as if has already transferred the money. I start to realize that he scams since he asks me to send $250 as for carrier fee to Nigeria.

    Please stop this guy and be careful!!


    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got this email from "grant edwards"

    "Im interested in the posted item, I hope it is in good condition?"

    Problem here is that I made a post wanting an item, on top of that I have a trade list with 20 different items. Silly me I responded:

    "I am not sure you read the posting correctly. Either that or you are a bot."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a futon lounge on gumtree and i got an email from cody wilson. he wanted to pay for it via paypal and he said that it would cost $100 and sent to a company in Nigeria. but from the start i had a hunch and my hunch was right. i copied and pasted his email address and landed here..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had the same thing on Gumtree Australia with the same email address wlsncody01@gmail.com when selling my bookcase.
    Glad that I googled this email and also NotifyofficePay_Pal@mail2world.com because it is a scam.
    If you ever receive an email from Cody Wilson or NotifyofficePay_Pal@mail2world.com or wlsncody01@gmail.com just delete is because it is a SCAM. Do not trust. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. recieved the same email this morning with the name being changed thats all.ATTENTION ALL SHOPS BE AWARE OF THIS SCAM!!!!!!

    this is a fraudulent request, follow my link to verify! luckily my street sens proved to be on point. I recieved this email in my box this morning and something didnt jive,so i ran a lookup on the email addys and names,then a google search for tattoo scams...and viola! there it was, word for word....here's the link and the email......

    http://ktmobooks.blogspot.com/2012/07/internet-scam-fake-craigslist-buyers.html

    From: "Rick Winter"
    To: ladybondtattoo@gmail.com
    Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 3:01:59 PM
    Subject: Tattoo

    Hello This is Rick and i will like to ask if you do dragon tattoo and am hearing impaired...and i want you to draw an Dragon tattoo 5 inch with color on their Back and a maximum of 2 hours on each person and i want you to get back to me with the total estimate for 10 people because i have a party coming up on the 21th of Feb and i also want you to know that the people who will come to have the tattoo will come with a private transportation driver... and i also want you to know that i will be making full payment with my credit card information to charge for all expenses i want you to get back to me with the type of credit card accepted and i also want you to know that i have attach you the picture of the tattoo... and i would like everyone that is coming to have the same tattoo for all. and i also want you to get back to me with your cell phone number and shop address so that i can have your shop information complete with me so that i can forward to the driver who will drop the people to your shop to have the tattoo.

    Thank
    Rick

    ReplyDelete