Monday, July 30, 2012

Internet Scam: PayPal Transfer

At first, I wasn't sure what this scam email was after, the reply-to address didn't go back to the scammer, there was no attachment, and I didn't immediately even see a link within the email to check, because I was viewing the text version (which had no links) and not the HTML version (which had only the transaction ID hotlinked and I could then see (withOUT clicking on it!), the destination was clearly a scammer.

Had I clicked, a faked PayPal page would have appeared asking me to log in and then the scammer would have gotten my paypal login information.

This got a little more of my attention than usual because I am a Bank of America customer. But before doing anything, you just go through the steps: I checked the reply-to address, I checked if it had a weird attachment, I checked for any links within the email to see, without clicking, if they went to weird destinations (this turned out affirmative), and I opened a brand new browser windows and manually typed in paypal.com and logged in myself and checked my account to make sure there were no recent transactions I didn't know about.

And then moments later, I got the same email, but from "Harold Carrillo" so they are obviously mixing up the fake name in the email headers.

Received: from [190.71.231.187] (port=57194 helo=190-71-231-187.epm.net.co)
From: Robert Barra (notify@paypal.com)
SUBJECT: We have sent you a bank transfer.

Paypal transfer

  We aretransferring funds fromYour Paypal account to your bank account.

Total amounttransferred$769.74
BankaccountBANK OF AMERICA
Transaction ID24683185533251731 (actually links to http://jemappelleshen.com/tranxxinfo.html)

Help Center  Resolution Center  Security CenterPlease don't reply to this email. It'll justconfuse  the computer that sent it and you won'tget a response.Copyright 2012 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPalis located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.

No comments:

Post a Comment